Luke Littler left appalled by Oleksandr Usyk controversy as boxing branded 'gone'

WATCH NOW: Luke Littler reacts to being world No 1

Jack Otway

By Jack Otway


Published: 24/05/2026

- 13:39

The 19-year-old has vented his fury on social media

Luke Littler has blasted boxing following Oleksandr Usyk's hugely controversial stoppage victory over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt.

The teenage darts sensation took to social media after fans and fighters were left stunned by the dramatic ending to Saturday night's heavyweight showdown near the Pyramids.


Littler, 19, posted a furious nine-word reaction on Instagram as debate over the referee's decision intensified.

"Boxing is officially gone, game is so far gone 😑," he wrote.

The fight descended into chaos late in the 11th round when referee Mark Lycett stepped in to wave the contest off with just seconds remaining.

Usyk had finally seized momentum after flooring Verhoeven with a powerful left hand following one of the toughest nights of his career.

But despite the Dutchman beating the count and appearing capable of continuing, the referee halted the fight before the final round could begin.

Luke Littler has blasted boxing following Oleksandr Usyk's hugely controversial stoppage victory over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt

Luke Littler has blasted boxing following Oleksandr Usyk's hugely controversial stoppage victory over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt

|

GETTY

The stoppage immediately sparked outrage across the boxing world.

Verhoeven, competing in just his second professional boxing match, had produced a sensational performance against the undefeated heavyweight champion.

The kickboxing legend repeatedly troubled Usyk with his awkward movement, pressure and clean punching, even managing to visibly hurt the Ukrainian during the contest.

Rico Verhoeven lasted 11 rounds before losing to Oleksandr UsykRico Verhoeven lasted 11 rounds before losing to Oleksandr Usyk | GETTY
Luke Littler graphic

Five things to know about darts star Luke Littler

|

GB NEWS/GETTY

At the time of the stoppage, the fight was hanging in the balance on the scorecards.

Two judges had it level at 95-95 heading into the final round, while another scored it 96-94 in Verhoeven's favour.

Even though Usyk would likely have edged ahead following his 10-8 round in the 11th, many believed Verhoeven deserved the opportunity to hear the final bell.

Anthony Joshua was among the high-profile names who questioned the referee's intervention.

The former heavyweight world champion, who watched the fight from ringside, admitted he felt the stoppage had come too soon.

"Yeah, definitely," Joshua said when asked whether Verhoeven should have been allowed to continue.

Oleksandr Usyk celebrates his victory on Saturday nightOleksandr Usyk celebrates his victory on Saturday night | GETTY

Verhoeven himself also expressed frustration at the ending.

"I thought it was an early stoppage," he said. "The referee knows we're almost at the end of the round.

"Let me go out on my shield, or let the bell go."

Jake Paul launched an even stronger attack on the decision.

"I mean that's the most insane s*** I've ever seen," he posted online. "I'm the biggest Usyk fan but bro you lost that s***."

The controversy has since overshadowed what had been one of the most thrilling heavyweight fights in recent memory.