Royal Windsor Horse Show faces calls to review safety protocols after soldier’s death

King Charles visits Royal Windsor Horse Show 24 hours after fatal tragedy

|

GB NEWS

Dorothy Reddin

By Dorothy Reddin


Published: 24/05/2026

- 12:23

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death

The Royal Windsor Horse Show is facing calls to conduct a review of its safety protocols following the death of a young soldier during a King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery performance earlier this month.

Lance Bombardier Ciara Sullivan, 24, died after falling from her horse on May 15.


The incident occurred in Home Park on the private grounds surrounding Windsor Castle, with King Charles and other members of the Royal Family among those watching the performance.

Critics are now questioning whether traditional ceremonial practices, including the use of historic headwear rather than modern protective helmets, should continue in public displays.

Ciara Sullivan

The Royal Windsor Horse Show is facing calls to review safety protocols after a soldier’s death

|

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE

The 24-year-old, affectionately known as Sully, was positioned in the back row of riders, nearest to the artillery piece, when the tragedy unfolded.

She had been wearing the regiment's ceremonial busby hat as part of the King's Troop full dress uniform.

The First World War-era QF 13-pounder field artillery, constructed from steel and wood with large spoked wheels, is pulled at speed by six horses arranged in three rows.

During performances, riders guide the heavy weaponry through complex arena manoeuvres and sharp turns.

King Charles III

King Charles III stands as members of the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery take part in a Royal salute in the Castle arena during the Royal Windsor Horse Show

|

PA

Medical assistance was provided immediately at the scene following the incident at approximately 7pm, but Ms Sullivan could not be saved.

One source told the Mail: “These carriages were invented centuries ago, before modern safety measures. They are not fit for purpose and nor are the hats. There should be a serious review of horse displays like this.”

Another said: “The continued use of traditional headwear that offers only limited protection has to be reviewed in an activity where serious head injuries are an ever-present risk.”

Her commanding officer described Ms Sullivan as a “fearless and gifted horsewoman” whose natural courage meant she was always first to volunteer for the most challenging horses.

King Charles

The crowd burst into applause after meeting the King the following day

|
PA

Thames Valley Police confirmed the death has been referred to the Berkshire Coroner's Office and remains non-suspicious.

It announced the following morning: “The Royal Windsor Horse Show is continuing as planned, with the omission of The King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery display.”

Chief Superintendent Michael Loebenberg said: “We are appealing for anyone with information or material relating to the sad death of a military rider at Royal Windsor Horse Show yesterday to please get in touch.

“Our thoughts are with the soldier’s family and the wider community in the military and at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at this extremely difficult time.

“At this stage, we have not found any suspicious circumstances. We are working with the Ministry of Defence, the Defence Accident Investigation Branch and Royal Windsor Horse Show organisers HPower to gather as much information as possible to understand how this happened.”

Buckingham Palace stated that the King was "greatly shocked and saddened" by the tragedy and would convey his condolences privately to her family.

The Ministry of Defence declined to comment on the basis that it's an ongoing investigation.

GB News has contacted the Royal Windsor Horse Show for comment.